Official site of Syrtis War Stalkers clan @ Syrtis realm @ Haven world @ Champions of Regnum MMO game

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

SWS IRL: Bence from Hungary

Hi Clannies, I’m Bence Erős, a 22 years old software developer and university student and study Software Engineering BSc. I live in Debrecen, the 2nd biggest city of Hungary, about 200.000 people live here - it's close to the eastern border of the country. In Regnum Online my primary character is crystalx, a lvl 49 warlock, and I also have a lvl 26 barbarian called hard reset, and a lvl 22 marksman (nega). I started playing Regnum Online around the middle of July.
Picture 1: hard reset and crystalx
To be honest, I’m not a gamer. I haven’t played any games in the recent years. Before that - long ago in the middle of my teen ages, I played mainly strategy games: Age of Empires, Heroes 3, Warcraft 3, Rise of Nations, Settlers and sometimes Starcraft. All were boring after sometimes, since I could only play in single player, we didn’t have internet connection at home that time (I just can’t imagine how I survived my first 16 years. :D )

But this summer after my exams I downloaded RO and I gave it a go. Aaand... I became addicted to it in a few days. So I spent most of my summer with playing RO; crystalx is now lvl 49, but sadly I’m a bit bored of grinding that guy, so in the recent days I have mainly played my barb, hard reset, and I log in with my lock only if there is some invasion.

When I don’t sit near my computer, I live the everyday life of university students. I’m with my beautiful girlfriend who I have gone out with for more than one years now, or I’m with my friends in a tavern or on a rock festival, or I’m watching a movie, whatever. In my teen ages I had read a lot of books too, but sadly I gave that up. I read mainly sci-fi novels, my favourite writers are Philip K. Dick, Kurt Vonnegut and George Orwell. I also liked fantasy novels, eg. Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter (one of the reasons why I fell in love with Regnum is how similar its world is to LOTR. :) So that’s all about books, nowadays I read IT stuff when I have some time to do that, currently Refactoring by Martin Fowler. By the way, I’m not a read-only guy, I started a blog in English last winter, it is my "just another blog about software engineering" blog. You can find some more or less interesting programming-related articles here.
Picture 2: My girlfriend and myself
Picture 3: At a university bale
Picture 4: Factory festival at Miskolc
Picture 5: A more or less cultivated garden party with friends
Picture 6: Cutting the melon - when everybody knows better how to do that :)
Picture 7: Late-night coding fun :)
Picture 8: So.. question?
Picture 9: A long-haired Bence
During the university years I worked as a software engineer for several companies, but after all I have became fed up with them, so currently I try to get by as a freelancer. When I say "software engineer" I mean "programmer", but the latter one is a damn ugly word in my opinion, therefore I more prefer using the first one :) So, primarily I write smaller business applications, mainly in PHP, JavaScript (with jQuery) and I prefer using PostgreSQL as a database. If I don’t write such applications, I develop my PHP framework, which I will release as public, free software some time in this year (hopefully). When I become fed up with PHP, I sometimes play a bit with Java, Scala or C, but I’m not really professional in those technologies/languages. I’m a really open-source guy, I rarely work with any proprietary stuff. I use mainly Ubuntu Linux with Fluxbox on my desktop, and sometimes I try out Slackware or Slack-based Linux distributions too. As I mentioned above, I’m a university student too, but now I only have a very few subjects, studying is not a really important part of my life. To be honest, I should have finished the BSc 2 years ago - I’m very lazy with math subjects. :)
Picture 10:  Finally, a screenshot about my nerd desktop
That's all guys, have fun, enjoy my pictures, and defend me when I’m under a dizzy cast. ;D

* All postings under current SWS IRL series might be found here.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats with Programmers Day, 256th of year, Bence! ;)

    ReplyDelete